JOBS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Opening in Veterinary Regulation and International Liaison Department of HKJC for position of Equine Welfare Officer
The successful applicant will:
- participate in the development of policies and procedures to maintain and enhance and welfare of Club racehorses.
- implement the Club’s Equine Welfare Strategy including policies, codes, documentation, website coordination and stakeholder management (internal and external).
- assist in the development and implementation of objective measures of racehorse welfare and to perform welfare and safety inspections/audits of all facilities housing Club racehorses within Hong Kong based on these measures.
- assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to monitor the safety and welfare of ex-Club racehorses exported to other countries.
- establish and implement systems to obtain the data required to identify and analyze the post-race outcomes of retired racehorses and to provide quarterly management reports of the findings.
- assist in the development and delivery of equine welfare training and educational programs for all stakeholders.
- promote the use of ex-racehorses in equestrian sports with the objective of providing increased post-racing career options.
- act as the Project Manager for the Club’s welfare initiatives and programs
Applicants should have:
- a degree in Veterinary Science (not necessarily registrable in Hong Kong) combined with experience in both racehorse and equestrian practice; or
- a qualification in Equine Science / Equine Management or related discipline with appropriate industry experience and a special interest in equine welfare;
- a demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the issues of equine welfare in horseracing;
- well-developed governance and management skills;
- experience and knowledge of project management, data analysis and the ability to share findings;
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English.