IGSRV ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
The IGSRV Executive Committee is seeking feedback from members on modifications to the Group’s Articles of Association (AOA), with a view of considering feedback received and ratifying the Terms at the next General Meeting at ICRAV2020.
If you have any comments or concerns or wish to provide any feedback, please send this directly to the members of the IGSRV Executive Committee via email at:
The INTERNATIONAL GROUP of SPECIALIST RACING VETERINARIANS ARTICLES of ASSOCIATION
ARTICLE 1. NAME
The organisation shall be called the International Group of Specialist Racing Veterinarians (IGSRV).
ARTICLE 2. AIMS
The aims of the IGSRV shall be:
- to act as a leading global international association of specialised racing veterinarians;
- to advise authorities controlling horse and greyhound racing, equine sports and related regional and international federations on veterinary matters relating, but not restricted to:
- the regulation and control of the use of medications and prohibited substances;
- the health and welfare of horses and dogs; and
- the control of disease in horses and dogs.
- to act in collaboration with the Association of Official Racing Chemists (AORC) to promote and achieve more effective regulation and control of the use of medications and prohibited substances in horses and dogs;
- to organise, in association with the AORC, meetings of the International Conference of Racing Analysts and Veterinarians (ICRAV);
- to promote veterinary science so far as it is concerned with the requirements of the rules and regulations, of various controlling authorities;
- to promote and support research and gain knowledge on equine and dog health, welfare, disease, pharmacology and drug metabolism;
- to collate and disseminate news, updates and other reports to members and racing authorities (and related organisations);
- to prepare and deliver education and awareness programs for regulatory veterinarians and racing administrators; and
- to promote international goodwill and collaboration.
ARTICLE 3. MEMBERSHIP
Membership of IGSRV offers individuals the opportunity to support, and be supported, by like-minded people committed to safeguarding and improving animal health, welfare and the integrity of the racing industry.
The objectives of the IGSRV is to provide resources and leadership to its members for the benefit of horses, dogs, and the racing and equestrian industry. Members must support these objectives.
Membership registrations are vetted by the Executive Committee via application through the IGSRV website. The IGSRV Executive Committee reserves the right to decline an application or cancel membership at any time.
Membership of the IGSRV is limited to following categories:
- Full Members:
- veterinarians nominated by international, national or regional authorities controlling horse, dog racing or equestrian sports; and
- veterinarians nominated by such authorities subject to approval by the IGSRV Executive Committee.
- Associate Members: scientists or specialists in relevant fields assessed by the Executive Committee as being able to contribute to the IGSRV. Associate Members shall be subject to annual review by the Executive Committee, who will take each member’s contribution and conduct into consideration. Associate Member subscription fees may be waived at the discretion of the Executive Committee, usually subject to those contributions made.
- Member Emeritus: a Full Member who has retired from employment and who has been a paid-up member for a total of 10 years or has served on the Executive Committee, is eligible for membership as “Member Emeritus” – exempt from annual subscription fees, without voting rights.
Each paid-up Full Member shall be entitled to vote at General, Special and Extraordinary Meetings, or by mail, at the discretion of the IGSRV Executive Committee.
With the approval of the Executive Committee, Members Emeritus may retain voting rights if they continue to pay subscription fees. This approval will be annually reviewed.
ARTICLE 4. MEMBERSHIP SUBSCRIPTIONS
A subscription fee shall be paid by Full Members and Associate Members to cover the costs of running the IGSRV, including administrative, and IGSRV project and programme costs.
The subscription period, amount and due date shall be determined by a vote of members at the General Meeting.
Members that have not paid their subscriptions will have their voting privileges suspended and may, at the discretion of the Executive Committee, have their membership rights revoked.
ARTICLE 5. OFFICERS
The officers of the IGSRV shall be the:
- Secretary and Treasurer.
ARTICLE 6. ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Officers shall be elected for a term of four years – with a possibility of re-election for an additional term – by a majority vote of eligible members at the General Meeting of the IGSRV.
Candidates shall be nominated and seconded from the floor of the General Meeting.
ARTICLE 7. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- The duties of the Chairman shall be:
- to chair General, Special and Extraordinary Meetings of the IGSRV and the Executive Committee;
- to coordinate and supervise IGSRV activities;
- to act as a member of the IGSRV Executive Committee; and
- to act as an IGSRV representative on the Management Committee and where practicable, the Organising Committee, of the ICRAV.
- The duties of the Vice-Chairman shall be:
- to vice-chair General, Special and Extraordinary Meetings of the IGSRV and the Executive Committee in the absence of the Chairman; and
- to act as a member of the IGSRV Executive Committee.
- The duties of the Secretary and Treasurer shall be:
- to act as a member and serve as secretary and treasurer of the IGSRV Executive Committee;
- to act as custodian of IGSRV records, including membership records;
- to keep the minutes of all General and Special Meetings;
- to manage IGSRV correspondence and notify members of meetings and relevant events;
- to review and report applications for membership at General Meetings;
- to collect Member subscriptions as they fall due;
- to keep proper records of IGSRV financial transactions;
- to give a financial report at the General Meeting; and
- to act as a member of the IGSRV Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 8. IGSRV EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee shall conduct the business of the IGSRV as required between General Meetings.
ARTICLE 9. COMPOSITION OF THE IGSRV EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The IGSRV Executive Committee shall comprise:
- the Officers of the IGSRV; and
- regional representatives who should, whenever possible, be nominated by members of that region. Officers may co-opt ad hoc members, as required, to serve on the IGSRV Executive Committee.
The IGSRV Executive Committee is empowered to appoint an eligible member to its number, should a vacancy occur between General Meetings. Such appointments shall be valid until the next General Meeting.
The IGSRV Executive Committee may, subject to the availability of sponsorship, appoint a part-time Executive Officer (EO) to coordinate and assist in administrative matters and the delivery of IGSRV related programmes and projects.
ARTICLE 10. REPRESENTATIVES
At the General Meeting, IGSRV members shall be nominated to act as veterinary representatives on:
- the Standing Committee of the ICRAV;
- the ICRAV Programme and Organising Committees; and
- the Advisory Council on Equine Prohibited Substances and Practices of the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities (IFHA).
ARTICLE 11. MEETINGS
General Meetings shall be held at the time of each ICRAV.
Special Meetings may be convened by the Chairman as required, with a report provided at the following General Meeting.
Members may call for an Extraordinary Meeting with the written support of 75% of the Full Membership.
ARTICLE 12. MAIL VOTE
If in the judgement of the Executive Committee, matters arise that should be put to a prompt vote of the full membership, and it is considered impractical to call a Special Meeting, the Executive Committee may call for a Mail Vote – which includes electronic mail.
The matter presented via Mail Vote shall be resolved by the majority of votes received. Any action taken in pursuance of a majority mail vote in each such case shall be binding upon the IGSRV in the same manner as for any action taken at a duly called meeting.
ARTICLE 13. BUSINESS REPORTS AND MINUTES
A report of the General Meeting shall be published as an addendum to the Proceedings of the ICRAV in accordance with the guidelines of the Conference.
Minutes of Meetings shall be circulated to the membership and confirmed at the next General Meeting.
ARTICLE 14. AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these Guidelines shall be made only by a majority vote of eligible members at a General Meeting.
ARTICLE 15. DISSOLUTION
Upon cessation and dissolution of the IGSRV, and after paying all debts and obligations, the remaining assets of the Group shall be distributed as determined by the Executive Committee to a non-profit fund or foundation organised for scientific purposes whose aims are to promote the health and welfare of the horses or dogs.