JOBS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Position available for the HIWU Director of Equine Medical Resources
HORSERACING INTEGRITY & WELFARE UNIT (HIWU)
Position Focus: The HIWU Director of Equine Medical Resources is a key contributor to the Horseracing Integrity & Welfare Unit (HIWU), a division of Drug Free Sport International/International Doping Tests & Management (DFSI-IDTM). The mandate of the HIWU is to improve the integrity and safety within thoroughbred horseracing through the administration of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority’s (HISA) Anti-Doping and Medication Control (ADMC) Program. This individual will develop, implement and direct HIWU’s industry focused scientific, anti-doping and controlled medication education initiatives. Additional contributions include the initial development and launch of an equine drug reference database; and continuous development and expansion of resources by gathering, researching and disseminating accurate and current information relative to the ADMC Prohibited List and in response to emerging questions facing Covered Horses and Covered Persons.
Summary of Qualifications: To successfully perform this role, the individual must be a critical thinker, an effective communicator, organized and self-directed. The HIWU Director of Equine Medical Resources must uphold the company core values and vision, demonstrate integrity at the highest degree, and have a high desire to serve the thoroughbred horseracing industry, clients, contractors, and colleagues. Essential requirements include:
- Minimum five years of proven experience in the direction and delivery of scientifically focused programs, anti-doping or equine experience.
- Minimum education level of a bachelor’s degree in veterinary or equine science, exercise physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, or related sports-sciences field.
- Working knowledge of drug reference resources consulted in handling related inquiries.
- Dynamic, people-oriented and excel in relationship management with an innovative and educational mindset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public speaking skills.
- Highly credible, ethical, and persuasive interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional organizational and leadership skills.
- Aptitude in resolving issues and conflicts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and computer systems.
- Willingness to travel regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Passing a pre-employment screening including drug test, background check, confidentiality agreement, degree(s) verification, and professional reference checks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Devise and implement strategies to meet the educational and informational requirements of the ADMC Program, with a specific focus on equine medication control.
- Develop and direct HIWU’s drug reference online system and resources including but not limited to:
- Execute a system that ensures efficient and accurate responses to medication, drug, treatment, supplement and/or substance inquiries from Covered Persons and stakeholders via a telephone hotline, website, and other resources, in a timely manner.
- Engage the HIWU Chief of Science to ensure the development of resources that will meet industry needs and ensure accuracy of all information and resources.
- Collaborate with the Information Technology team to create industry leading applications.
- Knowledgeable and current on issues related to racehorse welfare, medications, performance-altering drugs, nutrition, dietary supplements and banned substances.
- Maintain proficiency in regulation, policy and protocol changes.
Follow relevant trends via review of published research, use of evidence-based databases, and active membership in professional associations, and collaboration with respected professionals and relevant listservs that provide unique and trusted perspectives.
- Maintain accurate data collection and records for telephone and internet inquiries and responses.
- Establish professional relationships with affiliated organizations and prospective users to enhance HIWU outreach.
- Coordinate with all HIWU divisions and stakeholders to develop, implement, and direct HIWU’s industry focused scientific, anti-doping and controlled medication education initiatives including but not limited to:
- Contribute content in support of the drug reference resources for HIWU education and outreach.
- Support HIWU staff in preparation for stakeholder engagement through content contributions, slide and resources preparation.
- Support HIWU’s research initiatives, results management reviews, and laboratory accreditation as needed.
- Contribute to test distribution planning and collaborate with Science, Legal and Investigative teams to execute targeted testing as needed.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
|Description||Critical Success Factors|
Ability to efficiently organize and
prioritize multiple tasks. Effective at planning ahead yet flexible with unexpected changes. Listens well and orientates quickly.
Self-confident and self-starting; focused,
resourceful, and adaptable; makes timely decisions; at ease working with deadlines; delivers the objective with meticulous attention to detail; displays critical thinking abilities.
|Proficient in all forms of communication. Ability to connect with colleagues, clients, consultants and vendors. Create positive relationships at the organizational, contractor and vendor levels.||Passionate about daily interaction with clients; listens well, interprets accurately, and responds appropriately; chooses the right way to say the right things.|
Has a propensity for serving the needs of
clients. Demonstrates self-control and the ability to stay calm and diffuse tense service situations.
Attentive and decisive; selfless; follows up and
follows through; client first focus to enhance relationship.
Takes personal responsibility for job
performance; strict adherence to company and client policies and procedures. Maintains consistent high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Positively responds to direction and
constructive feedback; exhibits integrity and trustworthiness; and makes informed decisions based on what is best for the company.
Strong initiative; displays energy and
enthusiasm in approaching the job. Generates ideas for improvement; initiates opportunities and recommends innovations. Goes above requirements; continually working toward exceeding expectations.
Stays on target for 90-day and annual goals,
with motivation to exceed all objectives. Contributes to company success through continuous improvement. Seeks additional responsibilities and grows within the position.
All external applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Andrayana Estes, Director of Human Resources. All requested materials must be submitted for consideration. This position is desired to be filled as soon as possible and application materials will be reviewed on an on-gong basis until filled.
Drug Free Sport, LLC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.